Frequently Asked Questions

Family Law


How long do I have to be separated from my spouse to proceed with an action of divorce under simplified procedure?

Either one year or two years depending on whether or not your spouse consents.  The period has to have expired.

I am separated from my spouse and wish to have a formal agreement but do not wish to be divorced, how can I achieve this?

Even though separated there is no requirement to be divorced.  A Separation Agreement can be entered into to deal with all matters arising out of the separation.

Do you need a family lawyer?